Open enrollment is the time frame that you can apply for and purchase insurance on the Health Insurance Marketplace. The 2015-2016 enrollment period is November 1st, 2015, through January 31st, 2016.
You may qualify for insurance outside of that timeframe due to a qualifying life event, such as:
- Loss of coverage through job change, divorce, death in the family or graduation.
- Falling off parents’ insurance (this happens at 26. I know- what a great way to celebrate your b-day. Happy birthday! Now go buy insurance).
- Change to income.
- Change in immigration status.
- Moving outside of coverage area.
- Getting married.
- Having or adopting a child.
- Purchasing a unicorn. (This one is a joke- or is it?)
You do NOT have to use HealthCare.gov to purchase insurance. Some company whose name rhymes with “Blind Stealth” can help you. Start here.